Welcome to our Adventure!

Al and I are thrilled that you have found your way to our blog. We hope you enjoy reading our journal and viewing our photographs of the natural wonder of our United States of America. Let's hit the road together!
Homer, Alaska

Monday, May 2, 2011

Waldenwoods

The weather refuses to clear for any length of time! It was suppose to be cloudy in the morning Sunday, clearing by noon, then mostly sunny and warm the rest of the day. We decided to check out Highland State Recreation Area, about twelve miles away, and left around 11am after making my weekly phone call to my dad. It was still cloudy and cool, but this was mostly a reconnaissance trip. I packed a lunch for us and off we went.

We arrived at the ranger office, and found we needed a permit to enter...$8.00 for a day pass, or $29.00 for an annual non-resident sticker that lets us visit any state park without additional fees for the year. Seemed like a no-brainer to me, so we now have a Michigan S.P. sticker in our windshield! I took a map, and we went exploring in the park. There are several lakes in the park, with fishing in most of them, two nature trails in the Haven Hill Natural Area that are suppose to be great for viewing birds, some longer hikes and biking trails further in the park. I think it's going to be a nice place to visit now and then on our days off. We took a short walk along one of the trails, but it was still drizzly and cool, so we didn't stay too long, and headed back to the camper. I was putting a pot roast in the crock pot for dinner, and wanted to have that in by 2:30 or so.

Of course, once we returned home, the sun came out! So I went out and took some pictures around the campground for your viewing pleasure.

Our campsite at Dogwood 15. Our neighbor Tonda gave us a pallet bottom before she left yesterday, so we could get a piece of plywood for the top and make a small deck under the entrance steps. That will keep the entry way dryer for us during this wet spring! We haven't put the screenroom up yet, but it will be soon. And I love my little pine tree off to the side. A lot of birds hang out in it, and we've already had many visitors to our feeders. All the usual suspects: chickadees, goldfinches, house finches, a pair of chipping sparrows and a pair of cowbirds. I hope to see some new varieties as the summer goes on.

The view down Dogwood Lane. Imagine it filled with campers!

A few trailers on the high ridge...they have a nice view of part of the majestic Golf Course off to the right.

The park store and playground area as viewed from across the campground

Here's the beach in front of the park store, with a view of some of the lodges in the background.

The boat launch area, with the boats that the resort rents out. You can also use your own boat, so long as its an electric motor, which luckily for us is what we have! I think looking for a fishing license will be on Monday's agenda :-).

The park store, with the big windows overlooking the lake...I think I have a pretty nice view while working!
Another view of the lake, with the peninsula in the background that I told you about yesterday.
There's flower gardens planted around all of the public buildings.
And finally, back to our campsite from the other end of the road. So far, we have no neighboring workcamper on this side of us, they are all behind us in the next row back.

The rest of the afternoon was pleasant enough and warm enough that we opened some windows and aired things out, and I even sat outside for awhile, catching up on my reading and enjoying the birds coming into the feeder. After dinner we had a Skype session with the folks at home, a nice phone call from my bro Bill, and then watched the Amazing Race and Desperate Housewives. Today will be some shopping, setting up our deck area ( so we have to find a lumber yard ) finishing laundry, and just getting geared up to go back to work!

To answer a couple questions, yes, I believe non-members can come in and stay as our guests for a discounted rate, just let me know a couple days ahead of your arrival to the area and I will get things set up. If you are definitely going to be here at some time, drop me an email and I will look into it for sure. Until next time, have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice pictures of your temporary new "home". I'm sure you will be very happy there. So sorry to hear that your spring, so far, has been soggy. This too shall pass. Keep us updated on how you like (or dislike)workamping. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! A view like that should make your days quite pleasant :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on being formally "out from under" so to speak. They are all somebody else's problems now. Must feel great.

    You new situation looks like a good choice. Congratulations on that too!!

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete